[ncl-talk] gsn_contour_shade

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 7 10:24:36 MST 2016

Hi Jonathan,

I see that Adam already responded about one possible fix. I was also
working on a suggestion, which I'll go ahead and post since it allows you
to set other resources for fine-tuning your pattern fill.

Follow Adam's suggestion for copying the function to a new name, and then
in that new code, add these two lines right before the "return (plot)" call:

   cnres = get_res_eq(opt,"cn")
   attsetvalues_check(idstring,cnres)

What this does is look for any "cn" resources that you've attached to the
"opt" variable, and it will apply them to the existing plot before it exits
the function.

You have to be careful with this, because you don't want to use the same
resource list that you passed into the original gsn_csm_contour_xxx call.
If you do, then you will be applying *all* your original cnXXX resources to
the newly modified plot, which you don't want.

Instead, when you call gsn_contour_shade, make sure you are using a *new*
resource list, and then you should be able to set resource like
cnFillScaleF and cnFillDotSizeF.

I don't know yet if this is an ideal permanent solution. More testing is
needed for that!

--Mary