[ncl-talk] Binning multilevel MODIS data using bin_sum

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Tue May 3 07:15:53 MDT 2016

I’ve had weird issues with bin_sum() and looping over arrays in the past.
My solution has usually been to pass a temporary variable to bin_sum() then set your GBIN array to that temp variable.

e.g.  unchanged lines omitted for brevity.

 do nf=0,nfil-1
   do lev=0,nlev-1

….
tmp_var = GBIN(lev,:,:)			;; This could be defined outside of loop and just reset to zero for each loop.
tmp_var = 0
tmp_ct = toint(tmp_var)			;; as above doesn’t need to be redefined each loop just set to 0 each time.

bin_sum(tmp_var, tmp_ct, ,lon,lat , ndtooned(lon2d),ndtooned(lat2d),ndtooned(x) )

GBIN(lev,:,:) = tmp_var
GKNT(lev,:,:) = tmp_ct
…
end

Alan

Alan Brammer,
Post-Doc Researcher

Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences,
University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany, NY, 12222
abrammer at albany.edu