[ncl-talk] xy plot error

BLIUJUS, STEVEN D CTR USAF AFMC AFLCMC/HBAW-OL steven.bliujus.3.ctr at us.af.mil
Fri Jan 29 04:20:20 MST 2016

Thank you, changing the type of array to double fixed the problem.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Phillips [mailto:asphilli at ucar.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:04 PM
To: BLIUJUS, STEVEN D CTR USAF AFMC AFLCMC/HBAW-OL
Cc: ncl-talk at ucar.edu
Subject: Re: [ncl-talk] xy plot error

Hi Steven,
That error message generally occurs when one data type is getting passed to an array of a different data type. Some exceptions are allowed, like when you pass a float or integer into a double array as behind the scenes NCL promotes the input float/integer to a double. In this case, you are passing a double array into a float array. Add the following printVarSummary statements to your code right before line 51:
printVarSummary(data)
printVarSummary(var1_reorder)
You will see that data is a float array and var1_reorder is a double array, and thus this line will exit out in error:
data(0,:) = var1_reorder(120,:)

The solution is to set data to a double array. (That way you can pass float or double arrays into it.) data = new((/2,dimsizes(var1_reorder(120,:))/),double)

Or, if you know that both of your input files are of the same type you can use the typeof function to match the data array type to the var1_reorder data type:
data = new((/2,dimsizes(var1_reorder(120,:))/),typeof(var1_reorder))

Hope that helps. If not, or if you have any further questions please respond to ncl-talk.
Adam