[ncl-talk] RUC2-Analysis Data Incorrectly Interpolated to Surface

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Jan 28 19:45:40 MST 2016

A key is  the 'level_type' attribute associated with the pressure variables
(PRES_). There are numerous PRES_ variables. In particular,

      float PRES_P0_L1_GLC0 ( ygrid_0, xgrid_0 )
         center :       US National Weather Service - NCEP (WMC)
         production_status :    Operational products
         long_name :    Pressure
         units :        Pa
         _FillValue :   1e+20
         coordinates :  gridlat_0 gridlon_0
         grid_type :    Lambert Conformal can be secant or tangent, conical
or bipolar
         parameter_discipline_and_category :    Meteorological products,
Mass
         parameter_template_discipline_category_number :        ( 0, 0, 3,
0 )
         level_type :   Ground or water surface
         level :         0
         forecast_time :        0
         forecast_time_units :  hours
         initial_time : 06/05/2009 (12:00)

It is a guess that this is the surface pressure (psfc). All pressure levels
> psfc must be extrapolated. [ *Extrapolation is always dangerous!]

The 'ind' function can be used to get all 'valid' levels [ p<psfc ]. Try
attached.

Cheers