[ncl-talk] dummy wks for get_isollines()- best/better practice?

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 12 11:33:03 MST 2016

Hi Alan,

I'm not expert at this, but to the best of my knowledge, get_isolines is
the only way (currently) to get at the contour lines, and it is
fundamentally based upon the contour plot object. So your approach is
pretty much what is required.

There should be no hidden files being created however -- at most, there may
be an empty file with the name you gave to the gsn_open_wks() call.  For
PNG output however, the file is not created until the workstation is
"cleared", which is invoked by a  "frame()", so you shouldn't be seeing any
plot output files from your script. (is this true?).   This is not the case
for ps/pdf/svg output, where the plotfile is created upon workstation open.

Hope that answers your questions....
Rick