[ncl-talk] Plotting SAF Sea Ice Contours from Eumetcast

Francis Greaves francis at choughs.net
Thu Feb 25 12:29:34 MST 2016

I am an Amateur Weather Enthusiast and have been receiving Eumetcast data for many years.

I am trying to move away from Windows, because I have been a Linux user for many years as well.

I have been using David Taylor's excellent suite of programs to look at data including the Sea Ice product from SAF but this is written for Windows, and I am using wine to run it. I really want to move to Linux Only!

The product is in Polar Stereographic Projection

I have installed ncl fine using version 6.3.0 on CentOS 7

I can convert the Grib1 files to netCDF using ncl_convert2nc

I cannot see how to write a script (I have not found one on your site) to create the image.

Here is the output of ncl_filedump (the Grib file is 1.8Mb, the netCDF file is 13.6Mb)

warning:GribOpenFile: Grid Description Section not consistent with NCEP documention of grid 5; using GDS values for variables with this grid

Variable: f
Type: file
filename: S-OSI_-NOR_-MULT-GL_NH_CONC__-201602121200Z
path: Documents/S-OSI_-NOR_-MULT-GL_NH_CONC__-201602121200Z.grb
file global attributes:
dimensions:
gridx_5 = 1120
gridy_5 = 760
variables:
float ICE_C_5_SFC ( gridx_5, gridy_5 )
center : Oslo
long_name : Ice concentration (ice=1;no ice=0)
units : fraction
_FillValue : 1e+20
coordinates : gridlat_5 gridlon_5
level_indicator : 1
gds_grid_type : 5
parameter_table_version : 1
parameter_number : 91
forecast_time : 0
forecast_time_units : hours
initial_time : 02/12/2016 (12:00)

float gridrot_5 ( gridx_5, gridy_5 )
long_name : vector rotation angle
GridType : Polar Stereographic Projection Grid
units : radians
formula_u : Ugrid = cos(rot)*Uearth - sin(rot)*Vearth
formula_v : Vgrid = sin(rot)*Uearth + cos(rot)*Vearth
note1 : u and v components of vector quantities are resolved relative to earth
note2 : apply formulas to derive u and v components relative to grid

float gridlat_5 ( gridx_5, gridy_5 )
corners : ( 33.975, 33.07173, 27.59339, 28.35711 )
long_name : latitude
GridType : Polar Stereographic Projection Grid
units : degrees_north
ProjectionCenter : north
Dy : 10000
Dx : 10000
Lov : -45
Lo1 : -80.73
La1 : 33.975

float gridlon_5 ( gridx_5, gridy_5 )
corners : ( -80.73, -7.803853, 102.2406, 166.3792 )
long_name : longitude
GridType : Polar Stereographic Projection Grid
units : degrees_east
ProjectionCenter : north
Dy : 10000
Dx : 10000
Lov : -45
Lo1 : -80.73
La1 : 33.975

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. I have done a lot of programming over the years in C, Java, Python, Perl etc.

Regards

Francis