[ncl-talk] how to remove space between plots

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Sun Feb 14 18:49:29 MST 2016

Hi Laura,
NCL will allocate the space for each panel based on the size of the 1st
panel. If you do not want that to happen you can tell NCL to allocate the
space for all panels based on a different panel by setting
gsnPanelScalePlotIndex.  See example #24 here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/panel.shtml#ex24

In your case your 1st panel does have the Y-axis titles and labels turned
on, making that (and your 4th and 7th panels) bigger than the remaining
ones. Setting gsnPanelScalePlotIndex = 2 should fix the issue.

gsnPanelYWhiteSpacePercent can be used to adjust the spacing between the
rows. You might also want to set res at tiMainOn = False so as to not
preallocate space for the main title. Keep in mind that
gsnPanelXWhiteSpacePercent and gsnPanelYWhiteSpacePercent are both set to
1.0 as the defaults.

Hope that helps!
Adam

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 2:48 PM, Laura Fowler <laura at ucar.edu> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am using gun_panel to create a 3 by 3 panel plots. All 9 individual
> plots have the same size. I removed the Y-axis labels and Y-axis title
> to try tp reduce the space between the 3 columns but that did not
> help. I also try to use gsnPaperWidth and gsnPanelXWhiteSpacePercent
> but that did not help either. I also would like to add more space
> between the 3 rows? Any other suggestion? I am attaching my ncl script
> and output to show what I am trying to do?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Laura
>

> --

> Laura D. Fowler
> Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division (MMM)
> P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307-3000
>
> e-mail: laura at ucar.edu
> phone: 303-497-1628

Adam Phillips