[ncl-talk] dynamic variable names

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 4 05:43:45 MST 2016

Hi Sebastian,

As you point out, it can't be done directly with variables and $..$
notation.  But it would work if your variables were made to be attributes
of some "hosting variable":

ncl 0> hostVar = True
ncl 1> hostVar at ALLindex = 3.14159
ncl 2> user_selection = "ALL"
ncl 3> dynvar = user_selection + "index"
ncl 4> var1 = hostVar@$dynvar$
ncl 5> print(var1)

Variable: var1
Type: float