[ncl-talk] Fwd: Why I cannot get national boundary?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sun Aug 28 19:59:06 MDT 2016

Gaeun,

The "HighRes" map database is for coastal outlines only, and not interior
land boundaries.

Try using:

  res at mpDataBaseVersion         = "HighRes"
  res@*mpDataSetName*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/mp.shtml#mpDataSetName>
= "Earth..4"

The other thing you might want to consider is using shapefile outlines.  If
you go to gadm.org/country and look at the pull down menu for the
countries, you will see shapefile outlines for China, South Korea, and
North Korea. Make sure the "File Format" option is set to "shapefile", and
then download the desired shapefiles. You can use
"gsn_add_shapefile_polylines" to draw the "CHN_adm0.shp", "KOR_adm0.shp",
and "PRK_adm0.shp" shapefile outlines.  The "adm0" files are the country
outlines.

For more information, see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Interfaces/gsn_add_shapefile_polylines.shtml

See the "shapefiles" examples page, and in particular, example
shapefile_8.ncl:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/shapefiles.shtml#ex8

--Mary