[ncl-talk] k-means clustering

Carl Schreck cjschrec at ncsu.edu
Wed Aug 17 07:02:40 MDT 2016

I'm just starting to play around with the new kmeans_as136
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/kmeans_as136.shtml>
function.
I'm very much a novice at clustering and am wondering if anyone has used
this function and has guidance on how best to choose the number of
clusters.

Most of what I'm finding is similar to this wikipedia article
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determining_the_number_of_clusters_in_a_data_set>.
I think the elbow method is the only one that we can do with the output
from kmeans_as136, but I'm not exactly sure how to relate ss2 to %variance.

I'm sure this is simple and I've just not read up enough on it, but I
figured I'd ask you guys. Thanks!

Carl

--

<http://www.cicsnc.org/>