[ncl-talk] Extra-numeric data types

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 22 15:10:02 MDT 2016

NCL team,

Extra-numeric data types (ubyte, ushort, uint, ulong, int64, and uint64)
were added to NCL six years ago.  I noticed that a number of generic NCL
library functions do not currently support extra-numeric types.  In
particular I was just looking through the min/max and dim_min/dim_max
families.

Do you have any plans for phasing in more support for extra-numeric types
in the NCL function library?

This is only a curiosity right now.  I do not have any pressing current
need.  However, I like to support all possible data types when writing
generic code, and currently I am constrained in this regard by the NCL
function library.

--Dave