[ncl-talk] Where to download 6.4.0 right now?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 22 14:51:24 MDT 2016

Xiaoming,

We've been testing "conda" as a distribution mechanism for NCL, and we have
a test version of NCL that you can try using this.  Please note that this
is a TEST version, as we haven't released V6.4.0 yet.  This version does
have the cape_2d fix.

Here's how to get "conda"

1) Download "miniconda" from:

http://conda.pydata.org/miniconda.html

Get the Python 2.7 version and not Python 3.5.

2) Install from a UNIX terminal window by typing:

conda create --name ncl_test --channel dbrown --channel khallock ncl

This creates a conda environment called "ncl_test" in which you switch in
and out of from your default version of NCL

3) To activate the "ncl_test" environment, type (from bash/sh):

source activate ncl_test

4) Test NCL by typing:

ncl -V
ng4ex xy01n -clean

If you have problems with the conda version, we would like to know about
this right away, as we are still testing it out.