[ncl-talk] About CAPE and CIN for soundings

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 11 09:17:25 MDT 2016

CAPE **is** sensitive to the starting LCL.

About 17 years ago, I tested a number of CAPE codes and the calculated
values varied 'considerably'. To be honest, I have forgotten why I chose
the version I put into NCL. I would be open to altering the code or
including a different one if you can substantiate and document the issues.

--

A number of CAPE (mainly fortran) subroutines are at:
    http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/~shea/CAPE/*

    The capeThermo.f is the one used by NCL (see: subroutine cape_djs)

    The rip_cape.f was originally written by Mark Stoelinga, U. Washington
     http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/ripug.htm

Also, you can download all of Kerry Emanuel's codes from:

     ftp://texmex.mit.edu/pub/emanuel/BOOK/

===
NOTE: WRF provides two functions. These call rip_cape.f

===
Let ncl-talk know if you need more information.

Cheers