[ncl-talk] RATIO in Taylor Diagram

Vanúcia Schumacher vanucia-schumacher at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 14 20:14:48 MDT 2015

Dear users,
I'm confused with the calculation of RATIO (normalized root-mean-saquare (RMS) differences), relation to Taylor Diagram,  the comments that I have read here in the group, it was suggested calculated in 3 ways:
1) Use of the function:   dim_rmsd
or
2) RATIO; temporal variance at each grid point [local]
;   vref_var_T = dim_variance_n(rdata, 0 ) ; (lat,lon) ;   vcase_var_T = dim_variance_n(cdata, 0 )
;                 ; wgted areal *local* temporal variance
;   wvar_ref_T = sum(wgt_S*vref_var_T)/sumwgt_S ;   wvar_case_T = sum(wgt_S*vcase_var_T)/sumwgt_S
                 ; sqrt of ratio of spatially weighted variances
;   wvar_ratio_T = (wvar_case_T/wvar_ref_T)^0.5
I did not understand what would that sumwgt_S ?
or 3) more explicitly, for xc and xo on the same grid: wgtc=wgto
;         wgtc  = conform_dims(dimsizes(xc), gw, 0)    ; make 2d for gw[*];         xavgc = sum(wgtc*xc)/sum(wgtc)               ; control centered mean;         xavgo = sum(wgtc*xo)/sum(wgtc)
;     (b) compute the sum of the centered area weighted variances.
;         dc2   = sum(wgtc*(xc-xavgc)^2)               ; control ; centered about xavgc;         do2   = sum(wgtc*(xo-xavgo)^2);         rat   = sqrt(do2/dc2)
xc and xo is the variance or datasets?

I would like to know the step by step to correct this calculation RATIO, if someone can help me, please.
Thanks