[ncl-talk] max index on a single dimension for a multidimensional array without loop

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Wed Sep 9 21:22:15 MDT 2015

Hi Matt,

I think dim_max_n is what you're looking for.

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/dim_max_n.shtml

Not sure if I've used it in this manner before, but if you specify the
dimension to find the max over (2nd argument) as 0, I think you should get
what you're looking for. As a built-in function, it should be faster than
looping over each point.

Kyle

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1407
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu