[ncl-talk] gc_inout for non-spherical polygons?

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 9 16:14:06 MST 2015

Nisha,

There is more than one way to define a square or rectangle on the surface
of the earth.  They are mathematically and geographically different.

1.  You can define a rectangle by its four corner points, with the edges
defined as great circle lines between the four corners.  This defines a
spherical polygon.  gc_inout is the correct way to handle a polygon defined
this way.

2.  You can define a rectangle by its four corner points, connected by
straight lines in cartesian coordinate space (i.e. lat/lon space).  A
simple example would be the area between 30 to 35 degrees north, and 80 to
100 west.  gc_inout would NOT give correct results for this definition.

There may be other ways as well.  A "rectangle" could be defined as a
region enclosed by four straight lines, drawn over the surface of the earth
in any map projection, of which there are many.

Which definition do you have in mind?

--Dave