[ncl-talk] NCL figure - change colour and thickness of axes

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Fri May 29 09:52:15 MDT 2015

Hi Hannah,
I created the CVDP and am quite happy that you find it useful in your work!
(For those who are not aware the CVDP = the Climate Variability Diagnostics
Package, an automated set of NCL scripts that provides quick look plots of
the major modes of climate variability, trends, and other climate metrics
in models and observations. Information and example graphics are available
here:
www2.cesm.ucar.edu/working-groups/cvcwg/cvdp)

I am honestly a bit puzzled by the plot you attached, as it does not look
like a typical CVDP-generated plot. I do not alter the color (black) nor
the thickness (2) of the axes of the spectra plots in the  code. A typical
spectra plot output by the CVDP can be seen here:
http://webext.cgd.ucar.edu/Multi-Case/CVDP_ex/CESM_comparison/nino34.powspec.png

If you want to alter the color of the tick mark borders you can set
tmBorderLineColor. The border thickness is controlled by
tmBorderThicknessF. Those two resources are documented at the top of the
page here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/tm.shtml

Note that you can increase the resolution of the output png files by
setting the png_scale option in driver.ncl accordingly. Increasing this
setting can provide higher resolution plots that are quite suitable for
powerpoint presentations.

As an aside, if you are not running the newest version of the CVDP
(v3.7.0), I would highly recommend you upgrade.

Finally, if you'd like me to look at your driver.ncl script I would be
happy to do so. And if you have any suggestions on how to improve the CVDP
I'd be very interested to hear them.
Best regards,
Adam