[ncl-talk] Modifying a boxplot diagram's x-axis

Alan Rhoades alan.m.rhoades at gmail.com
Tue May 19 15:30:05 MDT 2015

Hello,

I'm trying to modify a boxplot diagram (see attached *.pdf image) so that
the x-axis doesn't take up as much room (i.e., make the boxes tighter
together by eliminating the spacing in between them).  I've tried several
different things, but none seem to work.  I've attached the script to this
email (unfortunately the data file is large and can't be attached too).
I'm assuming that there is an NCL resource that I haven't yet tapped into
that can do the trick.

Here is an example of what I've tried so far to scale the x-axis values
(using fspan), but unfortunately didn't work...

xdata_BOX_ALL = fspan(1,xdata_num_BOX_ALL,15)

...changing the above to...

xdata_BOX_ALL = fspan(1,0.25*xdata_num_BOX_ALL,15)
xdata_BOX_ALL = fspan(1,0.5*xdata_num_BOX_ALL,15)

...and I tried modifying some of the ncl resource options too, but I think
the boxplot plotting function is a unique case and doesn't respond like
other plots would.

Any ideas on how to do this?  I may have missed a few plotting resources,
so any insights are helpful.

All the best,

AR

--

*Alan Rhoades*
*PhD Student, Atmospheric Science Graduate Group*

*"It’s all really there. That’s what really gets you. But you gotta stop
and think about it to really get the pleasure about the complexity, the
inconceivable nature of nature."*
*Richard Feynman*