[ncl-talk] Trouble with GFS grib table

Walter Hannah walter at hannahlab.org
Thu Jun 25 15:51:22 MDT 2015

Hi,

I downloaded some analysis data from the NOMADS server, specifically:

http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data/gfsanl/

But when I try to read the files with NCL, I get this message:

warning:NclGRIB: Unrecognized parameter table (center 7, subcenter 0, table
255), defaulting to NCEP operational table: variable names and units may be
incorrect
warning:NclGRIB: Unknown grib parameter number detected (255, center 7,
table version 255 grib record 3), using default variable name (VAR_255)
warning:NclGRIB: Unknown grib parameter number detected (191, center 7,
table version 133 grib record 240), using default variable name (VAR_191)

Looking at some previous ncl-talk tthreads, I think I understand the issue,
but I'm confused that the GFS analysis wouldn't be consistent with the
default NCEP grib tables.

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here?

Thanks,
Walter