[ncl-talk] Plot a contour

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 11 07:21:19 MDT 2015

Dear Abdolhalim,

Welcome to ncl-talk. Always good to have new NCL users on board.

Since you want to plot this over a map, you should use gsn_csm_contour_map
instead of gsn_contour.

gsn_csm_contour_map will give you more "value added" graphics, as it will
look at your "t" variable and try to set some graphical options for you,
like titles, and labels on the X and Y axis. It will also automatically
give you a labelbar if you set "cnFillOn" to True.

Please try the attached script. I took out a lot of your resource settings,
because they are likely not needed if you use gsn_csm_contour_map.  The one
issue you will have is that your map won't be zoomed in, because the
default is to give you a global map.

You may want to see this page for examples of zooming in on regional
climate data:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/rcm.shtml

If you get an error in your script, then please post back to ncl-talk, but
put the following line in your script and let us know what it says:

printVarSummary(t)

Also include the error message.

As a beginner to NCL, I suggest going here:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/get_started.shtml

and in particular, look at the "Information on learning NCL section".

Most folks who need to write NCL scripts to look at their data use our
"examples" page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/

Good luck,

-Mary