[ncl-talk] hovmoller diagrams for vectors

LI Qi liqi123sh at qq.com
Thu Jul 23 04:01:45 MDT 2015

Hi Adam,

Thank you very much! The example is very helpful! I use the function "overlay" to superimpose vectors over contours.

However, the vectors seem different with the one I plot using GrADS (see below), and I don't know why. Could you help me look at my script? One more question is, how to reverse the X-Y coordinates?
Attached is the data if it is needed.

Much appreciated and best regards,
Qi

ncl plot:

my script:
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/contrib/time_axis_labels.ncl"
;************************************************
begin
;************************************************
; variable and file handling
;************************************************
  in  = addfile("erai-qvint-zonmean.nc","r")
  qu  = in->quz(:,:,0)
  qv  = in->qvz(:,:,0)
  qdiv  = in->qflxdiv(:,:,0)
  time  = in->time
  lat = in->lat

;************************************************
; plotting
;************************************************
  wks  = gsn_open_wks("eps","eri-qhov")                ; Opens a eps file
  ;gsn_define_colormap(wks,"WhiteBlueGreenYellowRed")             ; choose colormap

  res           = True
  res at gsnDraw   = False
  res at gsnFrame  = False
;
; Set up some contour resources.
;
; Turn on contour fill, and turn other things off.
;
  res at cnFillOn             = True
  res at cnLinesOn            = False
  res at cnInfoLabelOn        = False

;
; Define contour levels and their colors.
;
  ;cnres at cnLevelSelectionMode = "ManualLevels"
  ;cnres at cnMinLevelValF       = 980.0
  ;cnres at cnMaxLevelValF       = 1040.0
  ;cnres at cnLevelSpacingF      = 5.0
  ;cnres at cnFillPalette        = "StepSeq25"   ; assign color map to contours

  res at trYReverse           = True ; time from top to bottom, small to big
; Set special resources for the time axis
  resTick                = True
  resTick at ttmFormat      = "%d %c" ; form like "1 Jun", %d means day, %c means calendar
  resTick at ttmAxis        = "YL" ; Y axis, Left

; Set resources necessary to customize Y axis labels
  time_axis_labels( time,  res, resTick )

  vecres                  = True            ; vector only resources
  vecres at gsnDraw   = False
  vecres at gsnFrame  = False
  vecres at vcRefMagnitudeF  = 600000              ; define vector ref mag
  vecres at vcRefAnnoOrthogonalPosF = -.535    ; move ref vector into plot

  cnid = gsn_csm_contour(wks,qdiv,res)
  vcid = gsn_csm_vector(wks,qu,qv,vecres)
  overlay(cnid,vcid)
  maximize_output(wks,True)