[ncl-talk] ncl-talk Digest, Vol 135, Issue 22

Mary Barth barthm at ucar.edu
Tue Feb 17 12:36:36 MST 2015

Hi Negin,

For doing the same thing as you, I have found the model level by using
the WRF height array ("z") that you can get from wrf_getvar routine.

It is also possible to create an output file from WRF-chem of variables
along a flight track. Here is some more info:
“Tracking”  output:  vertical  profiles  of  prescribed meteorological
and  chemical
species  at  a  set  of  prescribed  times  and  horizontal coordinates
are  written  to  a
special  output  file,  wrfout_track_d<nn>.    The  namelist variable
track_loc_in  is  a
count  of  the  track  locations  and  must  be  set  to  a positive
value  otherwise  the  default
setting  of  zero  will  result  in  no  track  output  of  any
variables.    Times  and  locations
must  be  specified  in  the  file  wrfinput_track.txt(  see example
below).  Meteorological
variables  z,  p,  t,  u,  v,  w,  alt,  qcloud,  qrain,  qice, qsnow,
qgraup,  and  qvapor  are  output
if  track_loc_in  is  non-­zero.    Chemical  species concentrations
may  also  be  output  if
both  namelist  variables  track_chem_num  and  track_chem_name are
set.    The  total
number  of  chemical  species  to  output  must  be  <=  100.

As  an  example  the  following  namelist  settings  will  output the
default  meteorological
variables  and  co  and  o3  species  concentrations  at  the  two
times  and  locations
specified  in  the  wrfinput_track.txt  file  :

&domains
track_loc_in  =  2,
/
&chem
track_chem_num  =  2,
track_chem_name  =  ‘co’,  ‘o3’,
/

The  following  two  lines  comprise  the  contents  of  the  ascii
input  file
wrfinput_track.txt:

2010-­08‐10_00:12:00  41.450  -­87.300
2010‐08‐10_00:36:00  41.510  -­87.390

This  will  result  in  the  indicated  variables  being  output to
wrfout_track_d01  at  the
times  00:12:00  UTC  and  00:36:00  UTC  on  August  10,  2010  at the
grid  points  nearest
to  the  points  (41.450, -­87.300)  and  (41.510, -­87.390). Note
that  the  tracking  tool
does  not  interpolate  in  time.  The  indicated  output  times need
to  be  given  in
multiples  of  model  time  steps  else  no  output  is  produced.
The  exact  Fortran  format  for  the  lines  in  the  file
wrfinput_track.txt  is
(A19,1X,F7.3,1X,F7.3)  and  the  horizontal  coordinates  are ordered
for  latitude,
longitude  with  standard  WRF  conventions  wherein  south latitudes
and  west
longitudes  are  negative.

This information is from
http://www.acd.ucar.edu/wrf-chem/MOZCART_UsersGuide.pdf