[ncl-talk] Lat-time plot over map

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Fri Aug 28 09:15:25 MDT 2015

Hi Debasish,
I do not believe that anyone knows exactly what you would like to do. Would
you like lines drawn on the plot showing the northern and southern African
latitude boundaries (~35S:35N)?

If you have an example graphic that shows what you want that will help
folks assist you. As always please respond to ncl-talk..
Adam

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 7:11 AM, Debasish Hazra <debasish.hazra5 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Maria,
>
>   Thanks. I would like to plot the continent in the latitude region. Data
> is averaged over Africa longitude region. I would like to show both
> continent and ocean, if possible. Any help on this.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Debasish.
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Maria Gehne - NOAA Affiliate <
> maria.gehne at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Your question is a little vague. In general it doesn't make sense to plot
>> an array with only one spatial dimension over a map. Could you be more
>> specific about what you are trying to accomplish?
>>
>> You have a 2D array that has dimensions latitude and time, but you say
>> you want to plot it over a map? You only have one spatial dimension, do you
>> mean you want to show where the continents are in the latitude region? Is
>> your data averaged over a certain longitude region? Do you only want to
>> plot where the land areas are in latitude over that longitude region?
>>
>> For data averaged over all longitudes plots like the ones in this link
>> are common:
>> http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/sst/sst.month.anom.pacific.lat.gif
>>
>> Maria
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Debasish Hazra <
>> debasish.hazra5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  I have a 2D data (lat,time), where time is a 12 months climatology over
>>> a certain region of interest. Using ncl "gsn_csm_lat_time" I can plot them.
>>> But how to show it over map ? Do I need to use " overlay" ? Can this data
>>> (lat,time) dimension used for contour overlay ?
>>>
>>> Any help/suggestion is appreciated.
>>>
>>>  Thanks,
>>>  Debasish.

Adam Phillips