[ncl-talk] ESMF regridding is really slow

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Apr 28 16:08:29 MDT 2015

Hi all,

Laura and I have been iterating offline about this and I wanted to update
ncl-talk.

The issue is that when you regrid unstructured data, the internal
regridding routine needs to have a mesh that defines the edges of a
triangular or some mesh structure of each cell.  If such a mesh is not
provided by the user, then ESMF_regrid will call the Fortran-based "csstri"
routine to generate a triangular mesh.

This routine can take hours if not days on large grids (this one was 6.5
million cells).

It turns out that Laura's NetCDF file already had a triangular mesh on it,
so she was able to read this mesh off the file and set it to the special
"SrcTriangularMesh" option.

With this option set, we were able to get the generation of the weights
file down to 6 minutes.

Once you have the weights file, you can use this to regrid future
variables, and this only took about 1 second on my Mac.

--Mary