[ncl-talk] Landmasking options

Manisha Ganeshan manisha.ganeshan86 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 15:03:24 MDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm plotting data on a coarse resolution (2 deg. lat. X 10 deg. lon) polar
stereographic projection but I want to mask out the continents. I tried
masking my data using *landsea_mask* but this masks out some of the ocean
points as well (because of the coarse resolution of my grid). I'm wondering
if there are any plotting resources to simply avoid plotting data over the
continents?

Thanks,
Nisha

P.S I also tried gsn_csm_contour_map_overlay to overlay the NCL 1X1 degree
landsea_mask file directly onto my map. This works better but I am forced
to use the same color table. I'd like the continents to have a dull grey
color which is completely different from the color table I'm using for
plotting my data.