[ncl-talk] plotting RGBA in pdf problem

sk sdk0084 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 04:30:58 MDT 2014

Hi,

I have problem to output my figure correctly in pdf (only red layer is visible, see below) but everything is fine if i output on screen or in png format.

the following pieces of the code shows how i create the plot

;---Construct RGBA colormaps...
  ramp   = fspan(0., 1., 255)
  reds   = new((/255, 4/), float)
  greens = new((/255, 4/), float)
  blues  = new((/255, 4/), float)
  reds   = 0
  greens = 0
  blues  = 0
  reds(:,0)   = ramp
  greens(:,1) = ramp
  blues(:,2)  = ramp
  reds(:,3)   = 1.
  greens(:,3) = 0.
  blues(:,3)  = 0.

wks = gsn_open_wks("pdf","../figures/"+prefix)

    sres at lbLabelBarOn          = False
    sres at cnFillMode            = "RasterFill"
    sres at cnLevelSelectionMode  = "EqualSpacedLevels"
    sres at cnMaxLevelCount       = 254
    sres at cnFillBackgroundColor = (/ 1., 1., 1., 1./)
    sres at cnFillColors = greens
    greenMap = gsn_csm_contour(wks, g, sres)
    sres at cnFillColors = blues
    blueMap = gsn_csm_contour(wks, b, sres)
    sres at cnFillColors             = reds
    plots(ri,0) = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks, r, sres)
    overlay(plots(ri,0), greenMap)
    overlay(plots(ri,0), blueMap)
    draw(plots(ri,0))

    gsn_merge_colormaps(wks,"MPL_gist_yarg","precip3_16lev")
    dres = res           ;up to here: resources for filled contours without thickmarks
    plots(ri,1)   = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,pcp,dres)
    plot_w1 = gsn_csm_vector(wks,u,v,vres)
    plot_p  = gsn_csm_contour(wks,emi,eres)
    overlay(plots(ri,1), plot_w1)
    overlay(plots(ri,1), plot_p)
    draw(plots(ri,1))

Is it ncl limitation or i have to do something more?
Regards,
sk