[ncl-talk] question about "dtrend" function

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 5 11:33:36 MDT 2014

This question is a bit ambiguous.

Assuming y(time,lat,lon)      ; (ntim,nlat,mlon)

   yNew = dtrend_n(y, True, 0)                     ;
yNew=dtrend(y(lat|:,lon|:,time|:), True)

   slope  = *onedtond*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/onedtond.shtml>
(yNew at slope,(/nlat,nlon/))    ; slope(nlat,mlon)
   copy_VarCoords(y(0,:,:), slope)
   slope at long_name = "..."
   slope at units           = "..."
   printVarSummary(slope)

; arithmetic stddev

   slope_std = stddev(slope)

The weighted stddev could also be determined by weight the grid by (say)
cos(lat*rad)