[ncl-talk] Constraining a domain further in regression analysis

Melissa Lazenby M.Lazenby at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Sep 5 11:06:56 MDT 2014

Hi All

I have currently worked out the regression and plotted a regression line for max precipitation in a certain domain and want to constrain the domain further. I am looking at a latlon box from 0-30S and 20-50E and would like to know how to constrain that further by only choosing for example at 20E I only want to choose the max precip from 0-20S and at 50E from 10-30S.

I am not quite sure how to code this type of thing and would appreciate if someone could point me to a similar example or provide some advice on how to go about this.

Many thanks!

Kind Regards
Melissa

;*************************************************************
;Calculations of max precip for lat and lon values
;**************************************************************

    dimpr2   = dimsizes(pr2)
    nlat     = dimpr2(0)
    mlon     = dimpr2(1)

 pr2MaxLon = new ( mlon, typeof(pr2), pr2 at _FillValue)

   do ml=0,mlon-1
      imax = maxind(pr2(:,ml))
      pr2MaxLon(ml) = dble2flt(lat(imax))
   end do

   print(pr2MaxLon)
   print(pr2&lon)

   print("-------------------------------")
   print("pr2MaxLon: "+pr2&lon+"   "+pr2MaxLon)

   ;Regression Line

   rcMaxLon = regline(pr2&lon,pr2MaxLon)
   print(rcMaxLon)

   print(rcMaxLon at yave)

   bMaxLon  = rcMaxLon at yintercept
   print(bMaxLon)

   xMaxLon  = pr2&lon
   print(xMaxLon)
   yMaxLon  = rcMaxLon*pr2&lon + bMaxLon
   print(yMaxLon)

   print("-------------------------------")
   print(xMaxLon+"   "+yMaxLon)

; create an array to hold both the original data
; and the calculated regression line

 data      = new ( (/2,dimsizes(pr2MaxLon)/), typeof(pr2MaxLon))

; y = mx+b
; m is the slope:       rc      returned from regline
; b is the y intercept: rc at yave attribute of rc returned from regline

 data(1,:) = dble2flt(rcMaxLon)*(dble2flt(xMaxLon)-dble2flt(rcMaxLon at xave)) + dble2flt(rcMaxLon at yave)