[ncl-talk] how to mask out tibetan plateau when plotting fnl data?

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 1 07:40:20 MDT 2014

 You must provide more information!

ncl-talk does not know what 'FNL' is. A GRIB file?
What data do you have available?
What type of grid do you have .... curvilinear or rectilinear?

If you have (say) surface geopotential (m) and you are on a curvilinear
grid ... one approach

   f = addfile(...)
   x      = f->X         ; (level,nlat,mlon) ?????
   phis = f->PHIS   ; (nlat,mlon)

  lat2d   = f->
  lon2d  = f->

   lvmask = (/700, 850 /)

  do kl=1,dimsizes(lvmask)-1
       x({lvmask},:,:) = where(lat2d.gt. 25 .and. lat2d.lt. 42   .and. \
                                           lon2d.gt. 70 .and. lon2d.lt.110
.and. \
                                           phis.gt.1500, x at _FillValue,
x({lvmask},:,:))