[ncl-talk] rangs database - northern latitude oddity

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Oct 31 11:45:52 MDT 2014

The RANGS database does not work for global data.  Our documentation didn't
make this clear, which I've tried to fix.

If you really want better coastlines for global data, I suggest first
trying:

  res at mpDataBaseVersion = "MediumRes"

If this doesn't give you want you need, then I suggest using shapefiles.
You can get the GSHHS/RANGS data base as a shapefile from:

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/shorelines/data/gshhg/latest/

Then use "gsn_add_shapefile_polylines" to attach the shapefile outlines to
your plot.  There are several shapefiles provided in the zipped file, so
you'll have to look at the README file to decide which one you want.

I've attached an NCL script that you can use to compare three different
sets of map outlines.

--Mary