[ncl-talk] vector contour map

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 30 12:15:18 MDT 2014

Hi Micah,

This plot was apparently drawn using with the contour plot fill mode
set to "RasterFill".  That method of rendering does indeed lead to a
PostScript "image" command which is, as you note,  a raster type plot
embedded in the PostScript. If you want a true vector contour plot you
need to use the "AreaFill" method  (actually the current default fill
mode). The area fill method draws filled polygons which can be
rendered without blockiness at any resolution. A primary reason many
users and NCL examples use "rasterfill" is that it is in general quite
a bit faster than the "AreaFill" method. We do have plans to improve
the area fill method that we think will make it significantly faster
and ultimately competitive speed-wise with raster fill.
 -dave