[ncl-talk] Converting .nc file to CTL/UNF

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 10 08:26:19 MST 2014

>From an NCL perspective, why would you want to do that?
NCL can read & plot the nc files without the intermediate .ctl file.

--
There is no automated way to construct .ctl files. Most people want to do
the reverse:

The .ctl file has 2 parts: a descriptor file (text) and one or more binary
records.

; create a binary record

*  setfileoption*
<http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/setfileoption.shtml>("bin","WriteByteOrder","LittleEndian")
; "BigEndian

    f = addfile("foo.nc", "r")
    t = f->TEMP

   fbindirwrite("T.dir_bin", t)                     ; .ctl=> options stream
little_endian
or
   fbinrecwrite("T.seq_bin", 0, t)              ; .ctl=> options sequential
little_endian

; create the descriptor file ...
; do it manually or via NCL using str_* functions and asciiwrite

Good luck