[ncl-talk] Problem: Stripes in contour maps

Werner Schneider werner.schneider at uni-bonn.de
Fri Nov 7 09:23:55 MST 2014

Dear NCL team,

we have encountered a NCL problem when drawing contour
maps. If we use non rectangular grids and the data field
covers an area larger than the map limits, clipped data
(directly from the map limits) seems to be mirrored into
the inner part of the map. This only happens if we use the
following resources combinations:

res at mpShapeMode       = "FreeAspect"

res at cnFillMode            = "CellFill"

The specific result depends on the choice of the viewport.
In any case no error message is generated.

We use NCL version 6.2.0 with Linux 3.11.6-4-desktop
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.
Please find attached an NCL script demonstrating the
problem with simple artificial data and a postscript file
with the plot result.

Is there any problem in our script (perhaps forgotten
additional resources) or maybe a NCL problem?

Regards,
Werner Schneider

Werner Schneider
Meteorological Institute University Bonn
Auf dem Huegel 20
53121 Bonn
Germany
Phone: +49 (0)228 73 5186