[ncl-talk] Difference plot in NCL

Maria Gehne - NOAA Affiliate maria.gehne at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 29 13:35:34 MDT 2014

Hi Partha,

you can try setting all values <0.2 to _FillValue in both arrays and then
taking the difference. This will only take the difference at points where
both arrays have values >0.2. So if for example your two arrays are Y and X
and both are 2D you could try:

X at _FillValue = default_fillvalue(typeof(X)) ( or maybe it already has a
fill value attached, then there is no need for this)
Y at _FillValue = default_fillvalue(typeof(Y))

D = X ( just to copy the fill value and other meta data)

X = where(X.lt.0.2,X at _FillValue,X)
Y = where(Y.lt.0.2,Y at _FillValue,Y)
D = X-Y

This should now have missing values where either X or Y are <0.2 and those
will not be plotted.

Maria