[ncl-talk] Read correctely WAFS_blended GRIB2 file

HAVENER, KEVIN F GS-12 USAF AFWA 14 WS/WXED kevin.havener at us.af.mil
Thu Aug 21 12:35:57 MDT 2014

Rabah,

I can't say with too much authority what is going on here, but I think the grib2 file was created by concatenating a bunch of single-level grib files together and ncl_filedump sees the two differently named fields and the first two or so of identically named fields (that have some different metadata) and that’s all.

I found the same problem you did when you view the file with ncl_filedump and not surprisingly ncl_convert2nc gave the same result.  However, I used wgrib2's -netcdf option to convert the file to netcdf and got a netcdf file that looks much more like the original grib (gzip'ed netcdf attached) and probably what you expected to see.

I've attached the ncl_filedump of my converted file to this email and will mail you a copy of the converted file (3 mb) directly to you rather than the list.

Kevin Havener