[ncl-talk] problem with plot title: init and valid time

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sat Aug 9 23:12:17 MDT 2014

Balazs,

I think the reason your labels are wrong is because the titles have colons
(:) in them.  In NCL versions 6.0.0 and earlier, the ":" character is a
special character called a "function code" that allows you to format
strings to contain superscripts, subscripts, etc. If you try to use a colon
as part of a label anywhere on your plot, you will get gibberish like what
you saw.

You can change your NCL environment so that a different character, like a
tilde (~), is the function code. This will then allow you to have labels
with colons in them.

If you think this is something that you always want to have changed when
you run NCL, then you can create a file called ".hluresfile" that resides
in your home directory, that contains this line:

*TextFuncCode               : ~

If you already have a ".hluresfile" in your home directory, then just add
this line to the file wherever you like.

For more information, see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/hlures.shtml

If you upgrade to NCL Version 6.1.0 or higher, then the default function
code is a tilde. In this case, then, you won't need a ".hluresfile" to
change it.

--Mary