[ncl-install] fatal: Could not open ($NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl)

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sun Jan 20 11:07:51 MST 2019

Dear Bai Li,

Your message didn't get posted to the ncl-install email list because you
need to subscribe first via:

----
It looks like you are doing everything correctly with regarding to setting
up your NCL environment, but I need to you type some more commands from the
UNIX command line to better understand what's going on.

First, how did you install NCL?  Given that it was installed to /usr, this
makes me wonder if this is a Linux system and that NCL was installed with
something like "yum install ncl" or "apt-get install ncl".

If you could type the following and send me all of the output, including
the commands, it would help.

uname -a
which ncl
ncl -V
env | grep NCARG
ls $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg
ls -l $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm

Then, to see if a simple NCL script can try, type:

ng4ex -W x11 xy04n -clean

This should copy a sample NCL script called "xy04.ncl" to your current
directory. It will run NCL on it, and an X11 window with an XY plot should
pop up.  Click on this window with your left mouse button and it should go
away. If you get an error, please include that in the output.

Send all the output to ncl-install at ucar.edu, but subscribe first so that it
gets posted.

Thank you,

--Mary