[ncl-install] help

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 4 13:13:48 MDT 2018

Hi Victor,

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of the office.

There appears to be something fundamentally wrong with the compiler or
maybe it's out of sync with the version of gfortran/gcc that NCL was built
with.

What does the following report:

gcc --version
gfortran --version

If your compiler version is 7.x or greater, then this may be the issue.
This particular version of the software was built with the 6.3.0 version of
the compilers, so it's best if you can use 6.3.x compiler to compile these
programs.

If you are only planning to use "ncl", then it's not important that you can
compile these programs, because they are for people who are using the old
NCAR Graphics Fortran or C interface.

You can test ncl with:

ng4ex xy04n -clean

This should pop up a window with an XY plot. You can click on the window
with your left mouse button and it will go away.

--Mary