[ncl-install] ng4ex directory error still there?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 1 13:51:51 MDT 2018

John,

Sorry if this has already been answered. I'm going through some old emails
that look like they haven't been responded to yet.

The likely cause of this problem is that your environment is not set up
properly.

At a minimum, in order to run ncl, you must have NCARG_ROOT set to the
parent directory directory of where the NCL software was installed, AND,
$NCARG_ROOT/bin must be part of your PATH environment variable.

When you use apt-get, which is not supported by us, the installation gets
split up over two parent directories, and hence you also need to set
NCARG_NCARG, which I believe apt-get does for you.

The problem comes in when you try to install a new version of NCL.  When
you do this, you must update NCARG_ROOT and PATH to point to the new
directories, but you must also make sure you don't have the old NCARG_NCARG
still set.

In order to see if your environment is wrong, you can type the following
commands on the UNIX command line:

which ncl
env | grep NCARG
ncl -V