[ncl-install] Regarding setting of root path for NCL

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Thu May 31 14:17:12 MDT 2018

Hello,

Based on the error message you are seeing, I seems like you might be trying to run NCL commands directly in Bash (or whatever your shell environment is):
$ load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
bash: load: command not found

The ‘$’ character represents the Bash prompt.

Instead, please try running the “ncl” command in your shell environment:
$ ncl
 Copyright (C) 1995-2017 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.4.0
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
ncl 0> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
ncl 1> load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl”

Note that the above example is an interactive NCL session, where the prompt is indicated by “ncl #>”.

Ordinarily, those load commands should be added to an NCL script that you’re writing in order to enable certain NCL functions. You can execute an NCL script from Bash by running the “ncl” command followed by the name of the script, for example:
$ ncl myscript.ncl

I hope this helps,
Kevin