[ncl-install] ncl: Command not found

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 26 11:56:34 MDT 2018

Hi Kim,

I can't quite tell from the screen shot what's going on, but I do see one
problem.

You set NCARG_ROOT with:

export NCARG_ROOT=kimhb

This is not a valid statement, because you need to indicate the full path
to the location of the NCL files, which means the path should be something
like this:

export NCARG_ROOT=/kimhb

The very top of your directory tree is always denoted with a forward slash
("/"), so you will always have that first slash there. And then, depending
on how many directories down the files were extracted, you will have a
slash for each directory, i.e. */dir1/dir2/dir3*

However, I'm still not sure "/kimhb" is correct, because this would imply
that the files were extracted in a directory called "kimbh" off the root
directory.

I'm assuming that "kimbh" is your home directory, so the path will like be
something like  "/home/kimhb" or "/Users/kimhb":

export NCARG_ROOT=/home/kimhb

or

export NCARG_ROOT=/Users/kimhb

To help me figure this out, please logon to your system, and before you
type any other commands type the following and let me know what it says:

pwd

By default, when you login, the system will put you in your home directory,
and "pwd" stands for "print working directory". It will echo the directory
path that you are current in.

Also, I can't tell from your screen shot, but when you extracted the files
from the NCL tar file, did you do it from your home directory, or did you
create a new directory and extract the files there? If you created a new
directory and extracted the files there, then this is the path you need to
use for NCARG_ROOT.

--Mary