[ncl-install] Display Error NCL Install

Noa Margalit noa at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 10 12:57:52 MDT 2018

Hi,
I keep getting the same error copied below no matter what I've tried. I
tried writing it to a pdf or a ps file instead of X11 but get the same
display error. I set the display value to the ip address of the remote
machine and am working on a mac where I have installed "XQuartz 2.7.11". I
also logged out and logged back in trying both ssh -X and ssh -Y and
neither work. The files are being created in my working directory but are
not opening a file to display the output. I have successfully compiled both
wrf.exe and ideal.exe.
Thanks,
Noa Margalit

[root at iomgt run]# ng4ex cn01n -clean

NCAR Graphics NCL Example <cn01n>

  Copying cn01n.ncl

  Copying cn01.res

Running NCL...

 Copyright (C) 1995-2017 - All Rights Reserved

 NCAR Command Language Version 6.4.0

 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.

 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.

 GKS ERROR NUMBER -208 ISSUED FROM SUBROUTINE GOPWK :

 --X driver error: DISPLAY environment variable not set

 GKS ERROR NUMBER   25 ISSUED FROM SUBROUTINE GESC  :

 --SPECIFIED WORKSTATION IS NOT OPEN

fatal:Workstation with PID#8 is not open

fatal:Unable to open Workstation-Can't Create

fatal:Unable to access object with id:-4

fatal:_NhlCreate:Invalid Parent id #-4

fatal:NhlDraw: Invalid Layer Id: -4

fatal:Unable to update Workstation with PID#-4

fatal:Unable to clear Workstation with PID#-4

fatal:["Execute.c":8638]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 141

Finished running 'ncl < cn01n.ncl'...