[ncl-install] libgfortran.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 26 14:27:39 MST 2018

Hi Jerry,

I just tried installing the Debian8.6 binary release of NCL 6.4.0 <https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.640.dap/file.html> on an Ubuntu 17.10 virtual machine, and can confirm that I also saw the libgfortran error message.

After performing a minimal installation of Ubuntu 17.10, I had to manually install the following packages in order to get NCL to actually run:
sudo apt install libxrender1 libfontconfig1 libgfortran3 libgomp1

(Note: I believe libxrender1 and libfontconfig1 may be installed by default on a “desktop” installation of Ubuntu, but I tested this with a more minimal “server” installation)

There is a brief Dealing with missing libgfortran issue <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/linux.shtml#libgfortran> section in our installation instructions, but it’s a bit buried on our website and it could have a more concise description of the solution.

Thanks for letting us know that our documentation wasn’t entirely helpful in your situation; I’ll try to add some extra information to the page I linked above to hopefully help you and other users in the future.

Kevin