[ncl-install] ncl not seeing NCARG_ROOT?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 21 11:34:29 MST 2018

Dave,

Jeremy is right about the Ubuntu installation: it puts things in /usr/bin,
/usr/lib and /usr/share. The /usr/share directory is where the 'ncarg'
directory gets installed.

So, in order for NCL to work, you have to set two environment variables:

NCARG_ROOT=/usr
NCARG_NCARG=/usr/share/ncarg

This is necessary because by default, NCL looks in $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg to
find things like font tables and map databases. When you set NCARG_NCARG,
NCL will look in that first.

However, as you saw, the load commands will still not work, because they
are effectively looking in /usr/lib/ncarg/..., which doesn't exist with the
Ubuntu install.

To fix, you need to change the load commands to replace "lib" with "share"

load "$NCARG_ROOT/
​share
/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/
​share
/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/
​share
/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"

or this would also work:

load "$NCARG_NCARG/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_NCARG/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "$NCARG_NCARG/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"

HOWEVER, I don't really like either of these solutions. If you need to
share scripts with users on other systems, they may not have the same set
up as you and then they will need to go in and fix the modified load
commands to be what they originally were.

I suggest upgrading to NCL V6.4.0 as Kevin suggested, and then you can put
NCL wherever you want, preferably under a single root directory like
"/usr/local/lib/ncl-6.4.0". Then, you only need to set NCARG_ROOT and the
scripts should work without modifications. (Also, in V6.4.0, those three
scripts and some others are loaded by default, so technically, you won't
need to load them at all.)

For the next release (NCL V6.5.0), we've added even more scripts to the
"automatically loaded by NCL" list. For more information, see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/future_release.shtml#PreloadedScripts6.5.0

--Mary