[ncl-install] PLEASE HELP

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 18 11:29:46 MDT 2017

Hi Kwabena,

The “ng4ex” command is actually a csh (“C-Shell”) wrapper script that runs certain NCL example scripts, and it seems as though csh is not installed on your machine. For what it’s worth, csh is not actually required to run the “ncl” command itself; rather, only certain scripts included with NCL require csh, such as ng4ex and ncl_filedump.

If you intend to use any of those scripts, you will need to install csh using your Linux distribution’s package manager, for example:
sudo apt-get install csh	# Debian/Ubuntu
or
sudo yum install csh		# Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora

Again, if you only need to run NCL itself, you should be able to just run the “ncl” command without installing anything else.

I hope this helps!
Kevin