[ncl-install] FW: NCL 6.4.0 on mac OSX

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 15 23:00:11 MDT 2017

Hi Will,

Another user had this same problem. He said that after he updated MacPorts,
this seemed to fix things. He was using the 6.3.0 GNU compilers that were
installed via MacPorts. He actually built NCL from source code, but the
issue was the same regardless if he used a precompiled Mac binary or his
own built version.

Here's what he reported:

Thanks for all the information. I have rebuilt ncl_ncarg 6.4 on 10.11, and
it passes my tests.
I rebuilt macports as well, and have the default gcc set to 6.3 now.
So it was something on my end that was messed up.
mac02:~ apsd$ nm /opt/local/lib/gcc6/libstdc++.dylib | grep __ZdaPvm
0000000000006731 T __ZdaPvm
mac02:~ apsd$

So, I think you may want to look into upgrading MacPorts and maybe your GNU
compiler version.

The other option is to install gcc/gfortran from hpc.sourceforge.net, which
will get installed to /usr/local and should have that symbol defined.

A third option is to try the conda version of NCL:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/conda.shtml

Hope one of these solutions works for you.

--Mary