[ncl-install] How can I update NCL

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 9 09:02:17 MST 2017

Ipshita,

MacOS 10.6.8 is now several years old, and we unfortunately cannot provide
any binaries for this system.

We only support more recent Macs, which includes MacOS 10.11 (El Capitan)
and MacOS 10.12 (Sierra).  Newer Mac OS's, if and when they come out, can
usually use an older Mac binary.

You either need to upgrade your system, or you can download the source code
and try to build NCL yourself.  Build instructions are here, but I have to
caution strongly that it is not trivial to build NCL, and you need to know
a few things about using "configure" and "make" to get this working:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/build_from_src.shtml

I highly recommend upgrading your Mac if possible. You will find it
increasingly hard to get any software for this system if you don't.

Good luck,

--Mary