[ncl-install] Library failed to load

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 7 10:59:11 MDT 2017

Hi Bob,

Which of the available NCL tarballs <https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.640.dap/file.html> did you install?
ncl_ncarg-6.4.0-MacOS_10.11_64bit_gnu540.tar.gz
ncl_ncarg-6.4.0-MacOS_10.11_64bit_gnu610.tar.gz
ncl_ncarg-6.4.0-MacOS_10.12_64bit_gnu530.tar.gz

I was able to reproduce the “library not loaded: […]/libgfortran.3.dylib” issue on OS X 10.11 El Capitan using the “MacOS_10.11_64bit_gnu540” build along with gcc 7.1.0 from the HPC Sourceforge.

I suspect that that particular build of NCL might be incompatible with version 7.1.0 of gcc (which you already have installed), so if you chose that download for NCL, you might want to try one of the others instead.

You could also try installing NCL using the “conda” package manager <http://ncl.ucar.edu/Download/conda.shtml>, which provides it’s own gcc/gfortran libraries.

I hope this helps!
Kevin