[ncl-install] Plotgrids error

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Wed Jul 5 19:16:26 MDT 2017

Hi Jean,

This is a common issue experienced when installing NCL using “apt-get” on Ubuntu. The package maintainers for Ubuntu chose to split certain files that we normally put in “$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg” (“/usr/lib/ncarg” in your case) into their own directory “/usr/share/ncarg”. You can configure NCL to use this directory with “export NCARG_NCARG=/usr/share/ncarg”, although it looks like the script you are running explicitly references “$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg” which would need to be changed. You can read about the various NCARG_* environment variables here: https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Language/env.shtml <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Language/env.shtml>

To avoid some of these complications, you may want to consider installing a binary release of NCL from our website: http://ncl.ucar.edu/Download/ <http://ncl.ucar.edu/Download/>

Alternatively, if you’re familiar with Anaconda/“conda”, you could install NCL using the “conda” package manager: http://ncl.ucar.edu/Download/conda.shtml <http://ncl.ucar.edu/Download/conda.shtml>

Also, the version of NCL provided by the Ubuntu package manager is 6.3.0, while NCL 6.4.0 was released 4 months ago (and is available via either of the installation methods listed above). This might not matter to you if you’re just experimenting with NCL, but I thought I’d let you know in case you would prefer to use the newest version.

I hope this helps,
Kevin