[ncl-install] NCL install problem

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 28 17:17:51 MDT 2017

Lijing,

It appears there is a mistake in the install instructions for Mac OS:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/macosx.shtml

This page tells you to run the ng4ex command before installing NCL.
Actually, you must complete steps 1 through 4 on the general NCL binary
install page, before the ng4ex command will work.  ng4ex is part of NCL:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml

When you click on the XQuartz icon, an xterm window is the correct result.
So it looks like you already installed XQuartz correctly.

Just finish the NCL binary install procedure, steps 1-4, especially setting
the PATH variable.  Then go back to the specific instructions for Mac OS,
starting with the ng4ex test.

--Dave